National School Backpack Awareness Day
Every September the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA) selects a day to highlight the importance of proper backpack selection, fitting, and packing to help reduce the instances of backpack-related pain and injury.
Check out these quick tips to help decrease stress caused by improper selection, fitting, and packing of backpack
- Select a lightweight backpack with well-padded straps.
- The weight of your backpack should not exceed 10% of your body weight.
- The backpack should extend from the shoulders to no lower than 4” below the waist.
- The backpack should rest firmly on your back.
- Heavy items should be packed in the back of the backpack, closest to your back.
- Light items and sharp items should be packed in the front of the backpack.
- Use both straps of the backpack to equally distribute the weight.
Additional Resources from the AOTA: